Meet the Models

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Wearin' o' the Green

I nearly missed St. Patrick's Day, everyone! On my blog, that is. Well, almost at school, too, actually. With both my Irish friends, Fionn and Lucy Dare, and my Irish-American friend Felicity all studying abroad right now, the only kind of Irish person on campus right now is my bestest friend Charlie. (She and Felicity are sisters, you know... or maybe you didn't, but now you do!) So Charlie went a bit over the top -- she wore green from head to toe. At some point I even saw her wearing a headband with glittery shamrock antennae. I had nightmares about it, honestly. I'm all for Irish pride, but must we commit such fashion horrors in the name of it?

I'm just being silly. St. Pat's is great fun, even though Charlie tells me we don't do nearly as much to celebrate it here in the UK as a lot of Americans do. I think that's pretty funny, but also nice. It's good to remember where your roots are. I myself don't have any Irish roots that I know of. My moms are both English, but their families are both originally from Ghana. (I think I remember my mama telling me once that my biological father's background is Jamaican, but I'm not sure.) But Charlie assures me that everyone is Irish on St. Patrick's Day. So, in that spirit, I asked my friend Arpana to model some green-inspired fashion for me today. She isn't Irish either; her family is from Bangladesh! But with her hazel-green eyes, she looks so lovely in green, don't you think?


All of a sudden I'm totally ready for spring, so I picked out a really springy outfit. A riot of green flowers are abloom on the slightly empire-waist dress, and the sheer green ruffle at the hem adds just the right touch of interest. A lilac-colored shrug with ruched sleeves adds a touch of contrast as well as just a bit of warmth. Gauzy sandals, a simple sparkly necklace, and some leprechaun's gold in Arpana's hair finishes off my homage to Ireland's patron saint (and I hope he'll convince God it's time we had some warmer weather!).






In such a pretty, light outfit, Arpana couldn't help but dance across the floor like a warm spring breeze. :) Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone... a day late!

Outfit details
Dress: Stassy Dodge
Necklace: JOY Originals
Hair tie: Local beauty supply store 


4 comments:

  1. The outfit is beautiful, but I have to say, I'm in love with the strappy sandals! :D They're so elegant and chic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't they grown-up? I must admit, the first time I saw them in my friend Amy Jinn's closet, I thought they looked a bit like mummy-bandages with soles, and they made me laugh. But when I was putting this look together, I was concerned that the dress was a bit little-girlish, and I thought these shoes might pull the outfit together in a way that looked better for a teenager like Arpana (she's 13! I'm so envious!). OG's new outfits are really rather wonderful in general, I think. It's great, because they're so affordable!

    Love,
    Audra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arpana is beautiful in her spring dress....great for St. Patty's day or any spring day! ~D3 Girls♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arpana says, "Thank you very much indeed, lovely D3 Girls!"
    Would it be okay with you if I add you to my blog roll? I would love to be blog buddies!

    Love,
    Audra

    ReplyDelete