Meet the Models

Monday, March 3, 2014

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

It's snowing again today! Oi, can you believe it? Isn't it supposed to be spring by now? What's even more incredible is that yesterday it was 25 degrees outside (that's 77ºF for my American readers)! This winter has been mad. Well, I can't complain... I love snow!

Before the warm weather gets here, I wanted to do a post on using a coat as a central style element in an outfit. Very often we just think of coats and jackets as things we put on over our outfit because it's cold out. But a coat can be just the thing you need to give an outfit some real style. And if you have to wear one anyway, you might as well incorporate your coat into your look, right?


Please meet my stunningly gorgeous friend Honor. Also, do you remember my other friend Hannah, from my "Leather and Tweed" post last week? Well, please meet Hannah's motorcycle jacket. I practically had to offer Hannah my firstborn as collateral before she'd let me use her jacket for this shoot, you guys. The only way I got her to agree was by promising that her BFF would be the model. (Shhh, don't tell her I'd already decided to ask Honor to model for this post!!)


Sometimes a look is so iconic that you don't want to mess with it too much. That's what's going on here. James Dean taught us all that a black leather jacket only needs a good pair of jeans, a T-shirt, and some motorcycle boots to look spectactular:


So I haven't messed around too much with Honor's look here. The trick is giving everything just the right feminine twist. So Honor's wearing a perfect pair of unembellished skinny jeans and a simple pair of harness boots, very simple silver stud earrings, and a sleek hairstyle. The jacket is classic, but it also has a couple of feminine twists -- it's fitted, stops just at the waist (the buckle emphasizes Honor's waist), and has a great asymmetric zipper. But... what's so special about this outfit? I mean... that's it?


Not quite! Under the jacket Honor's wearing a gorgeous cowl-neck grey shirt with ruched sleeves and just the most awesome sprinkling of bling ever!


Aren't the wee dots, hearts, and stars fantastic? Can you see how the silver sprinkles are irridescent? They catch the light in pink and blue and green. I just LOVE this shirt. It reminds me of Harry Potter's invisibility cloak, except it makes the wearer more noticeable, rather than less so. The silver sprinkles really show off the jacket's special details -- that asymmetric zipper and the buckle hardware. They also lead your eye to notice the beautiful grain of the jacket (this is faux leather -- no animals were harmed for the sake of fashion here!):


Honor's look is chic, tough, beautiful, sophisticated, and iconic, all at the same time... even when she takes the jacket off:


Outfit details:
Motorcycle jacket: The Surfin Monkey
Cowl-neck shirt: The Etsy shop this came from has sadly gone out of business!
Skinny jeans: Janie Jumps
Harness boots: I forget where I bought these, but same boots available here
Earrings: Claire's

P.S. -- If I'm going to use the band's name for my title, I've got to include one of my favorite songs by BRMC!

4 comments:

  1. Oooh! This is one of my favorite outfits that you have shown so far! Do you have an instagram account? I bet the AGIG-ers would LOVE to see some of the stuff you share here on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! My big person has Instagram, but I don't... at least, not yet. Maybe I should get one! I understand there are apps now that will let you post photos to IG from your laptop. I shall look into it; thanks for the suggestion! :D

      Love,
      Audra

      Delete
  2. Love the Moto jacket! We have one very similar that we have not worn in a while....need to break it out of the closet! ~D3 Girls♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's the perfect jacket for spring, if you want to rock a classic tough-girl-with-a-heart-of-gold vibe. :) I'd love to see yours featured on your blog!

    Love,
    Audra

    ReplyDelete